Nominations are now being accepted for the 2021 Michigan Celebrates Small Business (MCSB) awards program, a prestigious annual competition that recognizes successful growing businesses and their supporters.
The winners will be honored at the 17th annual Michigan Celebrates Small Business gala on May 4, 2021. The awards program provides an opportunity for business owners and supporters of small businesses to nominate a company that is growing and making an impact in Michigan.
The nominations for the Michigan 50 Companies to Watch Award are open for second stage companies, defined as having six to 99 full-time-equivalent employees and generating $750,000 to $50 million in annual revenue or working capital from investors or grants. Additionally, the companies must be privately held and headquartered in Michigan.
“Michigan Celebrates received 575 nominations for the Michigan 50 Companies to Watch award in 2020, which surpassed the 2019 record of 425 nominations,” stated Jennifer Deamud, MCSB Board Chair and Executive Director of Michigan Manufacturing Growth Alliance. “In addition to a competitive landscape for this award, the businesses who are selected by the judges go through a rigorous due diligence process prior to the final decision.”
The Michigan 50 Distinguished Alumni Awards recognize a previously awarded Michigan 50 Company to Watch. Two award categories will be offered for 2021.
• Great Place to Work | The Michigan 50 Great Place to Work Award recognizes a previous Michigan 50 Companies to Watch recipient for increased contributions to its community and for fostering a creative, collaborative workplace culture to enhance performance and sustain a competitive advantage.
• Strategically Focused Award | The Michigan 50 Strategically Focused Award recognizes a previous Michigan 50 Companies to Watch recipient that has strategically increased its sales since receiving the Michigan 50 designation to ensure continued sustainability in an ever-changing economy.
The Best Small Business Awardees are nominated by Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTACs), Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs), and SmartZones are organizations located across the state that provide support services to Michigan small businesses. Each region of these various support organizations selects a company to be recognized as a Best Small Business Awardee for demonstrating a strong relationship with the organization as well as significant success as a company. You must be a PTAC, SBDC or SmartZone to submit a Best Small Business Awardee. Michigan Celebrates is seeking companies known for their marketplace performance, innovation, philanthropy, and corporate culture to be nominated for the 2021 awards.
Nominations can be made at MichiganCelebrates.org. Nominations are due November 20 and can come from service providers, such as attorneys, bankers, accountants, public relations representatives, economic development professionals, etc. Companies may also apply directly. All nominees will receive an e-mail with instructions to complete an online application by December 7.
The six Founding Partners created an annual awards gala to recognize small business and second-stage companies. The founding organizations of Michigan Celebrates are as follows: • Edward Lowe Foundation
• Michigan Business Network
• Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) • Michigan Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
• Small Business Association of Michigan (SBAM)
• U.S. Small Business Administration – Michigan District Office
The gala launched in 2005 and has become Michigan’s awards program for small businesses. There have been nearly 1,000 companies honored at MCSB over the past 16 years, which includes 800 second-stage companies recognized by a Michigan 50 Companies to Watch award.
If you have any questions please contact Jennifer Deamud at jenn@MGAlliance.org or 616-617-7467.